Splitting out M3UA and MTP3 out of Open BSC into a separate library

Arran Cudbard-Bell a.cudbardb at freeradius.org
Mon May 23 22:23:02 UTC 2016

Hi,

Developing a module for FreeRADIUS to support EAP-SIM and EAP-AKA authentication against a HLR.

The HLR we were targeting only supported a SCTP/M3UA/SCCP/TCAP/MAP stack, so we couldn't use SUA.

Ripping the M3UA/MTP3 code out of OpenBSC worked surprisingly well.  We ended up running the event loop in a separate thread to work around the threading issues.

Unfortunately the HLR implements the ANSI variant of everything, whereas OpenBSC and supporting libraries seem to have been written to be compatible with the ITU standards.

...but the differences are fairly minor at MTP3 and SCCP layers, and i've started work on a patchset for libosmo-sccp.

	https://gerrit.osmocom.org/#/c/73/

Anyway, trying to gauge interest in splitting those layers out of Open BSC into a separate library, would be happy to take on M2UA as well for consistency.

It would almost certainly get more projects using the code.  There's very little out there even in Perl land for working with SS7.

Thanks,
-Arran

FreeRADIUS Development Team