BTS power control

Harald Welte laforge at gnumonks.org
Fri May 13 22:59:03 UTC 2016

Hi Robert,

On Fri, May 13, 2016 at 07:19:14PM +0300, robert wrote:
> In a talk presented by Chris Paget [1] he states that the BTS can tell
> the MS to add a certain power amount to the signal that it has
> measured.

That's not quite correct. The BTS can basically instruct a MS at any
time to transmit any of the MS power levels supported by the specific MS
power class in a given band.

> Is this feature implemented in OpenBSC ?

No, because it is fundamentally a feature of the BTS, not the BSC.  The
power control loop is implemented inside the BTS.

OsmoBTS implements the power control loop.  Normally it is possible to
override the MS power level with some static level via the RSL protocol
betewen BSC and BTS, but we don't implement that part.

The easiest way to force a MS to transmit with higher power (if that's
what you want) is to influence the power control loop inside the
BTS, either by changing the code, or (on the osmo-bts-sysmo) you can
change the 'target uplink signal level as received by the BTS' to
something ridiculously high like -30 dBm, and then the loop will try to
make sure to reach that level.  As that's virtually impossible, the MS
will transmit at its maximum supported power level.