Persistent Uplink activity from Moto KRZR K3

Keith keith at rhizomatica.org
Thu May 5 14:51:59 UTC 2016

Hi all,

I have two Motorola KRZR K3 phones, purchased some years ago.

They generate constant bursts on the uplink, and this is what I can see
that corresponds from osmo-bts log output:

<0000> ../../../../osmo-bts/src/common/rsl.c:1642
(bts=0,trx=0,ts=0,ss=0) Handing RLL msg UNIT_DATA_IND from LAPDm to MEAS REP
<0000> ../../../../osmo-bts/src/common/rsl.c:1592
(bts=0,trx=0,ts=0,ss=0) Tx MEAS RES

No other handset does this.

As this is somewhat irritating, I'd like to fix it and it's a good
opportunity for me to dig into the code a little.

I'm posting to ask if anyone recognizes the issue or could give me some
pointers towards what the MS might be looking for that it is not getting
from the network?

I considered posting a bunch of other log output, but I'm not sure quite
what might be useful. I don't see any remarkable difference in the LUR
sequence with this phone and any other for example. Happy to hear some
guidance as to what might be useful.

I might also mention that this phone fails the USSD *#100# own number
request - The message "Not Successful"  appears on the screen very
quickly if not immediately after pressing send. There is no network
communication that I can detect.

As a side note, I resolved the somewhat baffling problem with my Ettus
N210 recently, uninstalling the UHD from the ettus repo (ubuntu 12) and
compiling UHD from git worked. I have not as yet (and probably won't)
dig any further into finding out why.
But now I have a working environment to test osmo-trx and osmo-bts-trx.

Keith.