Authentication Response msg type: 0x14 in spec, 0x94 from a 3G phone

Harald Welte laforge at gnumonks.org
Mon Mar 14 09:33:39 UTC 2016

Hi Neels,

On Mon, Mar 14, 2016 at 02:05:11AM +0100, Neels Hofmeyr wrote:
> I'm not entirely sure how we want to handle whether we're Release99 or not
> ... is all our code Release99 per se (that's 17 years ago, right!?), or
> should that be decided at compile or run time?

We should aim at implementing later releases, so the question is rather
'do we want rel 4, rel 5, rel 7' and not 'do we want rel 98 or 99'.  As
all the later releases >= R99 use the two upper bits as sequence numbers, the question is simple: simply use the >= R99 definition.

IIRC, there is a bit somewhere where the GPRS core network (SGSN)
indicates to the MS whether it is a R98 or R99 core network.  I think we
have to make sure to set this bit right, and apart from that use the >=
R99 definitions.