Silent-call

Max msuraev at sysmocom.de
Fri Mar 11 14:15:12 UTC 2016

Hi.

No, the silent call has nothing to do with audio - getting access to
target's mic without it noticing is not part of GSM spec so in order to
implement it you've got to exploit some bug in phone's baseband. I think
it's being done couple of times successfully.

Silent call in OpenBSC is about initiating "pre-call" signaling so phone
"wakes up", allocates the channel to BTS and waits for further
instructions. Normally, the instructions to start ringing, display
caller number etc would follow but not in this case. This is perfectly
within GSM spec. The point is to get low-level connection to the phone
so, for example, it's current position could be requested over RRLP. Or
to test smth.

Out of curiosity - what kind of information would you find useful in
this case?

--
Max Suraev <msuraev at sysmocom.de> http://www.sysmocom.de/
* Alt-Moabit 93