SMPP Routes

Harald Welte laforge at gnumonks.org
Sun Mar 6 11:40:37 UTC 2016

Hi Hendrik,

On Sun, Mar 06, 2016 at 11:51:34AM +0100, Hendrik Schmidt wrote:
> I am currently playing around with the new SMPP feature, but struggling
> a bit on routing in direction of esme. Of course, when using
> default-route, all customers will be routed to the esme which are not in
> the database; but what if I just want to route specific prefixes (or
> single numbers?).

this is very well supported.

> Currently, when using "route" and some combinations of
> international/national prefixes, I dont get it working.

I think the easiest option is to send a SMS from a phone (to another
phone on osmonitb) and check the SMS messages in wireshark to determine
the numbering-plan / type-of-number from there.  Then add a route with
matching parameters, and it should end up matching from that point on.

> Is there a documentation to this, without reading all numbering plans
> of gsma etc?

The monday-to-be-publicly-announced user manuals contain a bit on that
regard, see chapter 13 of
http://ftp.osmocom.org/docs/latest/osmonitb-usermanual.pdf
as well as the smpp/esme node part of the auto-generated
http://ftp.osmocom.org/docs/latest/osmonitb-vty-reference.pdf

> E.g. what I want to do:
> - only route number 1234 via SMPP

I think this might not even be possible at the moment, as only
prefix-routes and default routes are implemented.  so if you add a
prefix route for 1234, then 1234567 would still match.

Patches for single-number routes are welcome :)

> - route everything via SMPP which starts with a "1"

that's a prefix-route for '1'

I think we would also accept a patch that adds a catch-all numbering-plan /
type-of-number, if you think it is a useful feature to have.