release process

Max msuraev at sysmocom.de
Mon Jun 20 16:27:49 UTC 2016

Hi.

So far release process for new versions of osmocom components was rather
quiet (unless I'm looking at the wrong place). This is different from
many other open source projects some of which do announcements in ML,
some use blogposts etc. Is there any interest/value in the release
announcements for osmocom projects? Or maybe partially (applications but
not libraries for example)? Or only major but not minor? Or not at all?

To me personally the value is twofold: a) we generate some news which
might be good thing to attract attention of potential contributors (if
we won't overdo it :) and b) it makes it clear when some feature is
"officially shipped" so we have to start paying attention to things like
backward compatibility.

Of course writing such announcements is boring regardless of a medium so
if we follow this road we should automate the process as much as possible.

What do you guys think?

--
Max Suraev <msuraev at sysmocom.de> http://www.sysmocom.de/
* Alt-Moabit 93