Gerrit: submitting a branch

Neels Hofmeyr nhofmeyr at sysmocom.de
Thu Jun 2 01:45:58 UTC 2016

On Wed, Jun 01, 2016 at 09:02:47PM +0200, Holger Freyther wrote:
> > On 01 Jun 2016, at 14:21, Neels Hofmeyr <nhofmeyr at sysmocom.de> wrote:
> >
> > It would also be nice if Gerrit didn't complain about merge conflicts that are
> > in fact no merge conflicts -- I'm stumped on that topic. Any help would be
> > appreciated.
>
> https://code.google.com/p/gerrit/issues/detail?id=2734

Thanks! #5 is extremely helpful in understanding Gerrit: I did absolutely not
expect the term "merge conflict" to actually mean "path conflict".
https://code.google.com/p/gerrit/issues/detail?id=2734#c5

What the post says to be "Automatically resolve conflicts" is probably "Allow
content merges" in our Gerrit version. It's now enabled in our projects (thanks
Holger).

Next I'd like to retry the "Rebase if necessary". Currently openbsc was on
"Merge if necessary", which, it seems, creates merges that make the history
more complex than rebases would.

I've put openbsc to "Rebase if necessary" now and posted the next couple iups
commits to for/master.

This time I don't see "Merge conflicts", probably thanks to "Allow content
merges"; excellent.

I have yet another problem: it seems I can't re-submit a branch; during push, I
get an error saying:
 ! [remote rejected] HEAD -> refs/for/master (no new changes)
I've resolved "no new changes" before by manually removing the Change-Id from
each commit message (kind of unsatisfactory solution). This means I can't
submit fixes to the branch commits. I would like to add the NULL check
described in the comment here:
 https://gerrit.osmocom.org/#/c/171/1/openbsc/src/gprs/gprs_gmm.c
but it seems I would have to abandon the entire set and submit it again, and
would also have to amend every commit message to generate a new Change-Id in
it.  (This particular change could well be added in a later commit, but it
makes me wonder how we work with requests to tweak such a commit in general.)
https://groups.google.com/forum/?_escaped_fragment_=topic/repo-discuss/NeuQmv4LdOc#!topic/repo-discuss/NeuQmv4LdOc
^ This looks like gerrit and branches just don't mix too well.
https://groups.google.com/forum/?_escaped_fragment_=topic/repo-discuss/tmiyz6GCRaw#!topic/repo-discuss/tmiyz6GCRaw
^ In here there's also the suggestion to push a merge-commit to for/master
instead, so I might try it next time...

BTW I think I was wrong about the shuffling of commits in the listing. It
appears the newest branch commit is always on the bottom. (Except in "Related
changes", where it is always on top.)

I guess we should have a "submitting branches in gerrit" wiki page once we've
settled for our favourite strategy.

~Neels

--
- Neels Hofmeyr <nhofmeyr at sysmocom.de>          http://www.sysmocom.de/