fully dynamic TS, naming

Alexander Chemeris alexander.chemeris at gmail.com
Wed Jul 13 20:59:11 UTC 2016

On Wed, Jul 13, 2016 at 1:18 PM, Neels Hofmeyr <nhofmeyr at sysmocom.de> wrote:
> About http://osmocom.org/issues/1757#note-4
>
> With the current naming scheme, the logical name for a fully dynamic
> TCH/F-TCH/H-PDCH channel would be
>
>   GSM_PCHAN_TCH_F_TCH_H_PDCH
>
>    timeslot 2
>     phys_chan_config  TCH/F_TCH/H_PDCH

I personally prefer this option, because it doesn't leave a place for
doubt. And ti's not something you would type 100x a day, so making it
short is not a real optimization.

> Is it asking for trouble to just name it DYN instead?
>
>   GSM_PCHAN_DYN
>
>    timeslot 2
>     phys_chan_config  DYN

Reading this, I would be asking myself "DYN - what is that? Dynamic?
Ok, Dynamic what? Channels? Ok, which channels? Can it have SDCCH in
there? Hmm.. Don't know. Let look into the docs. Docs say no. Can it
be SDCCH in the next release of the software? Huh, don't know, I
better to put something more specific here, so I'm sure what's
happening. But how to do that?"

Users who don't ask those questions will ask a lot of other questions
like "I thought DYN is doing XYZ, but it not! Help!"

Alexander Chemeris.
CEO, Fairwaves, Inc.
https://fairwaves.co