milestone: 3G CS Location Update Accept

Neels Hofmeyr nhofmeyr at sysmocom.de
Mon Feb 29 11:53:37 UTC 2016

Hi list,

I've just seen my first Location Update Accept from our UMTS UE+femtoCell
using osmo-cscn as IuCS network core :D

The Identity Request (IMSI) that the UE used to not answer is now being
answered, and I am getting a successful Location Update Accept from
osmo-cscn after that.

The reason why it didn't work last time isn't entirely clear. All I
changed since is the *test* program that simulates the UE+hNodeB, and I
merely verified that osmo-cscn works (as far as LU is concerned).

A hint is, Daniel told me that the IuPS setup had one day stopped to reply
with a message that used to work before, and has since again started
working. So it might've been a timing issue in the reply towards UE.

Next steps:

Next I will briefly try to run Daniel's 3G SGSN together with CSCN to see
whether the premature Iu Release (?) he sees still happens when CS is
connected successfully.

There is also still a segfault in osmo-hnbgw, triggered by reconnecting a
second time with our hnb-test that simulates an hNodeB. That's next on the
hacking todo list.

According to the specs, proper Authentication is mandatory for UMTS, which
osmo-cscn should initiate. That's not happening yet. It seems our testing
UE is fine with that, so I'll see when I'll get to that.

~Neels

--
- Neels Hofmeyr <nhofmeyr at sysmocom.de>          http://www.sysmocom.de/
* Alt-Moabit 93