Fail in using pySIM to set authentication algorithm

Harald Welte laforge at gnumonks.org
Thu Feb 25 19:48:05 UTC 2016

On Thu, Feb 25, 2016 at 02:29:42PM -0500, Wei wrote:
> I'm having a trouble when using pySIM to change the authentication
> algorithm in a USIM-SJS1 card. Basically I want disable the 3G authentication
> on the card, and only use 2G authentication regardless of the network type.

This is not a valid operation.  The card is a combined SIM + UICC + USIM
card.  A USIM application by definition must support an UMTS
authentication context.  You can change the UMTS authentication
algoritmh from MILENAGE to XOR, but even the specs for USIM don't allow
any COMP128v1/v2/v3 algorithms.  Please read the relevant specs.

So in fact what you need is a pure old 2G SIM card (like the magic SIM,
sysmoSIM-GR1), not a SIM + USIM + UICC.