License exception for OpenSSL

Holger Freyther holger at freyther.de
Sat Feb 20 18:17:00 UTC 2016

> On 19 Feb 2016, at 20:54, Ruben Undheim <ruben.undheim at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> 1.) You link against libgnutls-openssl-dev which provides a wrapper for RAND_bytes.
>>
>> 2.) We move to GNUtls (or gcrypt?) to call the function that RAND_bytes is wrapped around (after reading the documentation)
>>
>> 3.) We use GNU nettle and their yarrow-256 implementation (assuming that is a smart move)?
>
> Thanks.
> I did #1. Here's the patch:

I explored 2nd and gnutls calls gcrypt so I looked at gcry_randomize[1]. In comparison to the OpenSSL RNAD_bytes documentation I feel a lot is missing. RAND_bytes will fail if the RNG is not seeded, I don't see anything like this in gcry_randomize documentation. Do I really need to call   gcry_check_version or is it okay to not call it?

I will not do this weekend, but please ping me if there is not progress in the weeks to come. I think we roughly need to do:

* Call gcry_check_version in the main routine of apps using it
* Switch to use gcry_randomize

holger

[1] https://gnupg.org/documentation/manuals/gcrypt/Retrieving-random-numbers.html#Retrieving-random-numbers
[2] https://www.openssl.org/docs/manmaster/crypto/RAND_bytes.html