Query regarding GTP-U code implementation in upstream linux kernel

Andreas Schultz aschultz at tpip.net
Tue Feb 16 08:22:30 UTC 2016

Hi Niti,

On 02/16/2016 08:53 AM, Niti Rohilla wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I want to enable GTP-U in OpenVswitch. I have implemented the code for the GTP-U in ovs and submitted the same on ovs-dev.
>
> As currently, GTP-U support is not available in upstream linux kernel, so to create a GTP port in ovs we have to load the openvswitch kernel
> module to linux kernel.
>
> I have received some review comments stating that first I have to implement the code for GTP-U in upstream linux kernel in netdev net-next
> tree then it can be incorporated into ovs.
>
> I want to know the process of how to implement and get the code for GTP-U into upstream linux kernel.
>
> If anybody is working on the same how can I help them to get it in into the upstream linux kernel quickly.

I'm a bit out of touch with OVS, so my idea on how this should work might be wrong.
As far as I understand OVS, the way forward would be to use the lwtunnel infrastructure to enable OVS to use a kernel GTP module.

Our current OVS module ([1], [2]) is not (yet) using lwtunnel, but we do plan on switching to that.

So far, we have been coordinating the GTP kernel module development on the OpenBSC ML [3]. The goal is to upstream it as soon as all the
basics are covered (smallish netlink API changes, final touches on IPv6 and maybe lwtunnel).

On the OVS side, someone would then need to implement the necessary ops to handle GTP lwtunnel integration.

Andreas

[1]: http://git.osmocom.org/osmo-gtp-kernel
[2]: https://github.com/RoadRunnr/osmo-ggsn