Debugging osmo-trx constellation on XTRX SDR

Tom Tsou tom at tsou.cc
Thu Dec 22 18:41:11 UTC 2016

Hi Alexander,

On Thu, Dec 22, 2016 at 6:37 AM, Alexander Chemeris
<alexander.chemeris at gmail.com> wrote:
> We're porting osmo-trx to our XTRX and we see some weird
> constellation (https://goo.gl/photos/1KycUsv26Z6T6aN97). It looks like
> a normal GMSK circle is there, but there is also a square like if a
> signal is clipped. Do you have any idea what could cause this from
> your previous experience?

Squaring of the constellation is typically associated with
overpowering some part of the chain. What does the spectrum look like?

> We're running osmo-trx at 4 SPS. Then we double sample rate in
> software (XTRX can't handle sample rates below 2 MSPS yet) and then
> transmit. See first image above.
>
> Then we tried to increase sample rate and enabled 4x interpolation in
> LMS7 - that led to a distorted cicrle + square constellation
> (https://goo.gl/photos/zMZRecxmZsqiCYMHA).

Again, check spectrum. Severe bandlimiting and overpower conditions
will have visible spectrum effects. Also, the I/Q offset is high -
consider offset tuning to remove DC and quadrature imbalance from the
test scenario.

  -TT