RFC: OsmoDevCon 2017 planning

Keith keith at rhizomatica.org
Mon Dec 19 19:10:43 UTC 2016

Hi all.

Latish response to this thread is no indication of lack of interest! I
was travelling and then thinking somewhat about the response.
Also, allow me to assume if you're reading, you've read the thread, so
I'll dispense with quoting and inline commenting of contributions so far.

On "User" or "Dev":

I believe there may be a kind of third hybrid here.
Yes I care about config, monitoring, running, and this leads to
discovering both bugs and lacking features, which therefore leads to
caring about code.
Thus I've been slowly over the last year or so, making an attempt to get
familiar with that. Please let me also say that the hospitality of the
osmocom group and having had to opportunity have a one to one with
certain key individuals at times has been an enormous help!  Therefore
I'm very happy with Harald's proposal, I would concur with others on
avoiding a parallel event.
That said, and also seeing that the response so far has been limited to
the usual suspects (+Shaddi maybe), I might be a somewhat unique case in
terms of user/dev cross over.

On OpenBSC etc al:

Yes, although I'm not dis-interested in the other Osmo projects, my main
focus is of course the cellular infrastructure. So I do have an interest
in attending the "dev" part on those projects, whereas attending the
talks on other osmo project would be.. well, interesting but not
warranting taking up space..

On Venue and organisation.

Berlin seems as good a place as any. Why break with tradition. If one
needs to travel it's a reasonably easy place to get to and not so
expensive to be in. As no users have replied yet, at this point it looks
unlikely to find volunteers to help with registration, catering,
although that might come on stream later. At this point, I can't confirm
anything myself.

I wonder if there might be a sufficiently large group of Osmo
Devs/Users/Fans at congress this year to warrant a brief meeting, say 30
mins to discuss a possible agenda (workshop/talk titles) of the
potential user part of OsmoDevCon 2017?