libosmocore changes / release process

Neels Hofmeyr nhofmeyr at sysmocom.de
Sun Dec 18 15:53:10 UTC 2016

On Sat, Dec 17, 2016 at 12:20:11AM +0100, Sylvain Munaut wrote:
> How about when you make a release N of libosmocore, right after the
> release and tag you already upgrade the version internally to N+1
>
> Then when you use a new function in the lib and depend on it in
> OpenBSC, you can directly add dependency to libosmocore version N+1 in
> the OpenBSC automake stuff.

I'd like to +1 this, but for one implementation detail: at the moment e.g. an
installation of libosmocore finds the most recent signed tag in git and bases
the installed version number on that. So either we need a "moving tag" that
continuously follows master (I think not), or we change the way that
./configure figures out what the current version number to be installed is.

It's nice to have an automatic lookup, so that the git tag magically gives the
right version number, but we do also have manual work to do in the debian files
for a release anyway. So I guess it would be handy to note the version manually
instead of using git tags (i.e. keep the .version file in git), then we could
go with this scheme. We could have some sort of validation step in the release
process to ensure a tag is also set on a revision with matching content in
.version.

I think it's a really good idea, what do you others think?

~N

--
- Neels Hofmeyr <nhofmeyr at sysmocom.de>          http://www.sysmocom.de/
* Alt-Moabit 93