RFC: OsmoDevCon 2017 planning

Neels Hofmeyr nhofmeyr at sysmocom.de
Wed Dec 14 13:26:19 UTC 2016

On Wed, Dec 14, 2016 at 10:15:32AM +0100, Harald Welte wrote:
> > At risk of bikeshedding, how about "OsmoCon" as a name for the entire
> > event, with OsmoDevCon remaining the usual developer-only portion?
>
> Good point.  Unfortunately OSmocomBB already has an 'osmocon' program
> (the osmocom console program).  Though the context should make it hard
> to mix-up, the programmer in me likes to not overload the global
> namespace ;)

I really like the name "OsmoCon" as such, and unless people run on FAT OsmoCon
and osmocon are different names? :)

On the meta meaning side, we're dropping from "Osmocom" the "com" part which
means "communication", which is actually the most important part of the
conference. OsmocomCon? OsmoComm? as in Osmocom Communication Conference...

No idea. OsmoCon still has the nicest ring to it.

Interestingly enough, there doesn't seem to be a naming conflict with events on
chemical or biological topics (osmosis)...

~N