RFC: OsmoDevCon 2017 planning

Neels Hofmeyr nhofmeyr at sysmocom.de
Sun Dec 11 01:20:41 UTC 2016

On Sat, Dec 10, 2016 at 08:11:39PM +0100, Harald Welte wrote:
> One idea would be to keep OsmoDevCon as-is and have a separate event
> where non-contributing/developing users / sysadmins / system integrators
> could also be attending.

Over at Apache Subversion, we used to have parallel users' and developers'
events, with conference style talks being held in one room and a hackathon next
door for devs only.

The advantage is that both happen alongside each other, so all people involved
are guaranteed to be present. But the disadvantage was that we devs were drawn
to the hacking room, while every hour or so one or two left to next door to
hold a talk for the users -- so we'd pretty much never be all just there
together to discuss something, with a background ruffle of last-minute slide
edits and people leaving and coming back.

In the end we went back to having *just* "DevCon" aka hackathon events, because
it was more enjoyable and productive for the hackers.

With that experience in mind, I think that, *if* we have a users' conference,
we should indeed have the events back-to-back ... the "if" probably depending
on the users' feedback.

And my clear vote would be for Berlin, naturally.
Unless ... we could decide to visit Holger in Amsterdam, too ;)

~N

--
- Neels Hofmeyr <nhofmeyr at sysmocom.de>          http://www.sysmocom.de/
* Alt-Moabit 93