OsmoBTS -> libosmogsm code migration

Neels Hofmeyr nhofmeyr at sysmocom.de
Mon Aug 8 17:06:01 UTC 2016

On Thu, Aug 04, 2016 at 05:50:39PM +0600, Vadim Yanitskiy wrote:
>  * The 'osmo-bts/gsm_data.h', which includes 'openbsc/gsm_data_shared.h'
>      as well.
>
> So, there is regarding questions:
>
> 3) Which logging category it would be better to use after migration?
> 4) What to do with the 'osmo-bts/gsm_data.h'?
> 5) I don't think, that it's a good way to require something from the
> OpenBSC sources during OsmoBTS build... How can we change it?

I've also faced the problem twice recently that I effectively can't log from
gsm_data_shared.c, since the logging constants (e.g. DRSL) are defined
separately for openbsc and osmo-bts (can't include both headers...).

The first time I solved it by returning an error code and code-dup'ing the
error logging in osmo-bts and openbsc (see lchan_lookup() in
openbsc/src/libbsc/abis_rsl.c and osmo-bts/src/common/rsl.c).

The other time I placed a compile time #warning where I'd have preferred to
post an error log (not committed yet).

The one advantage of gsm_data_shared.c is that I feel that I can modify that
API without breaking any libosmocore ABI. We can pretty freely drop stuff in
there and re-use across openbsc and osmo-bts that isn't used anywhere else.

But I find these solutions rather unsatisfactory / ugly and would +1 for
solving the gsm_data_shared.c evil-twin situation. If some of the stuff isn't
worthy of moving to libosmocore, we'd need another tiny osmo-lib?

~Neels

--
- Neels Hofmeyr <nhofmeyr at sysmocom.de>          http://www.sysmocom.de/
* Alt-Moabit 93