OsmoBTS -> libosmogsm code migration

Vadim Yanitskiy axilirator at gmail.com
Thu Aug 4 11:50:39 UTC 2016

Dear all,

We recently discussed with Harald, that there is a lot of code related to
GSM L1 should be migrated from OsmoBTS to libosmogsm. The reason is that
it would be better to have one shared implementation of the convolutional
codes, mapping, interleaving, etc., because then in near future it can be
used not only from OsmoBTS, but also from OsmocomBB and even from foreign
projects, such as GR-GSM.

I just started to work on this direction, and found that there is already
some code, related to the conventional codes, in libosmogsm. But unlike
OsmoBTS, where all the tables can be found within the single file named
'gsm0503_conv.c', these tables appears in separate files during building
process. So, I have several questions:

1) Which approach is better to use? To store everything in a single file
or to use auto generation (utils/conv_gen.py)?
2) What about the copyright? I have not seen any license/author info at
the top pf these files. Who is the author?

Also, there is the 'gsm0503_coding.c' file, which uses the following
external dependences:

 * The DL1C logging category, which isn't defined in libosmocore;
 * The 'osmo-bts/gsm_data.h', which includes 'openbsc/gsm_data_shared.h'
     as well.

So, there is regarding questions:

3) Which logging category it would be better to use after migration?
4) What to do with the 'osmo-bts/gsm_data.h'?
5) I don't think, that it's a good way to require something from the
OpenBSC sources during OsmoBTS build... How can we change it?

With best regards,
Vadim Yanitskiy.