[Help needed] Testing OpenBSC without hardware BTS

Kornschnok kornschnok at gmail.com
Thu Sep 3 10:09:16 UTC 2015

Hello,

I just started on OpenBSC. I would really like to test it without a
hardware BTS. I'm aware that there's a smalltalk "FakeBTS" program for
testing it but I did not manage to run it due to a runtime problem with
libgnu-smalltalk version 3.2.91 which was listed as a requirement to run
FakeBTS. As lower stable version of libgnu-smalltalk wouldn't work there's
nothing I could do. I include the error message below just in case.

-------------------
openbts at ubuntuopenbts:~$ gst
"Global garbage collection... done"
"Global garbage collection... done"
/usr/share/gnu-smalltalk/kernel/SysDict.st:37: Aborted
/usr/share/gnu-smalltalk/kernel/SysDict.st:37: Error occurred while not in
byte code interpreter!!
/usr/lib/libgst.so.7 (+0x67cef) [0xb7748cef]
[0xb77af400]
[0xb77af424]
Aborted

Anyway, what I want to achieve as a start is to emulate some phone calls
and trace how calls are routed through the different entities. (It's for
demonstration purpose and personal interest) Would that be possible with
maybe some coding? I would appreciate any suggestion on how to start.
Thanks in advance!

Kornschnok