Can we drop osmo-pcu OpenBTS support?

Harald Welte laforge at gnumonks.org
Wed Nov 11 23:58:57 UTC 2015

Dear all,

as far as I understand, the TCP socket interface between osmo-bts and
OpenBSC only existed in a particular branch/fork of OpenBTS created by
Fairwaves, and it was created at a point where no public release of
OpenBTS included any GPRS support.

As the world has moved on (OpenBTS including their own GRPS code with
something of a unified PCU, SGSN and GGSN; Fairwaves using OsmoBTS), I'm
wondering how much sense it makes to still keep this code in the
osmo-pcu repository.

Particularly, it doesn't seem to make sense to keep it as the compile
default.  A default should be applicable to most users / configurations
of a software, shouldn't it?

Any input on thi is appreciated.

My argument would be to drop that code.  If not, then at least make it
the non-default case.  Or even compile both an osmo-pcu-osmobts and an
osmo-pcu-openbts binary by the default makefile target and do away with
any compile-time switching between the two.