osmo-bts / osmo-pcu profiling results

Harald Welte laforge at gnumonks.org
Thu Dec 10 08:55:18 UTC 2015

On Mon, Dec 07, 2015 at 04:38:38PM +0100, Suraev wrote:
> There's interestingly looking wrapper around epoll:
>
> http://0pointer.net/blog/introducing-sd-event.html

I don't think we'd need a wrapper, a we don't need the timerfd and
signalfd integration, child process state change events, unix process
events, etc.

So the wrapper only adds a layer of abstraction and lots of features we
don't need.  The fundamental issue here is that both select() are quite
epxensive (due to the large FD array copying/checking/zeroing), and the
fact that obviously all data has to be always copied between kernel
memory and userspace memory.

> Not sure if it would cover dsp2userspace transfers though.

>From the userspace point of view, is just a character device that you
open and read/write on, nothing fancy.