osmo-bts / osmo-pcu profiling results

Holger Freyther holger at freyther.de
Mon Dec 7 08:25:13 UTC 2015

> On 07 Dec 2015, at 09:12, Harald Welte <laforge at gnumonks.org> wrote:
>
> Hi all,
>

> * vfprintf() and friends, from logp() statements.  The sad part is that
>  calls like gsm_lchan_name() are of course executed beefore the call
>  into logp(), at which point the vfprintf/sprintf/... for arguments has
>  already been executed, and only the last/final one hasn't happened
>  yet.

Jacob has proposed (and I think maybe included) a patch to check if
logging is enabled for any target before making the call (and passing
the arguments)

> After a brief look at osmo-pcu profiling, it looks like in the
> attached picture.  We cannot do much about the __copy_to_user_std,
> do_select and core_sys_select, as those are kernel side.

epoll. We avoid transferring FD set to the kernel all the time (and arming
them in the driver). But I assume the bigger cost of to user is the indications
we copy from the DSP to userspace.