GPRS, EDGE support

Ralph A. Schmid, dk5ras ralph at schmid.xxx
Tue Jan 28 11:29:38 UTC 2014

> It’s not normal operation.  It is an emergency measure that takes effect with
> the network is in a hopeless congestion condition.  And in my experience,
> this approach changes the recovery time from several hours to several
> minutes.

About what numbers of phones are we talking here to reach a critical mass?
Usually a phone transmits two or three access bursts, then it waits for a while,
and I mean to remember some slotted aloha scheme, or similar. I hardly can
imagine that such a condition could last for_hours_, but of course the real
word sometimes offers bad surprises :)

Ralph.