GPRS, EDGE support

Alexander Chemeris alexander.chemeris at gmail.com
Mon Jan 27 19:56:34 UTC 2014

Ralph,

On Mon, Jan 27, 2014 at 7:07 PM, Ralph A. Schmid, dk5ras
<ralph at schmid.xxx> wrote:
>> Then, there is an issue with OsmoBTS when there are too many phones are
>> trying to connect to it for LUR. I described this a while ago, but we haven't
>> had time to look more into it yet. So far we just used various workarounds to
>> solve it. We're looking into writing a BS power reduction algorithm, similar to
>> the one used in OpenBTS - If there is a severe congestion for LU's, BS will
>> reduce its power until the load doesn't stabilize. Then it'll slowly increase the
>> power again, until it hits the LU congestion or hits the maximum specified
>> power.
>
> Sure that this is a good idea? It will throw out all users at the edge of the coverage
> area, maybe cause even more load, when those show up again with their accumulated
> requests like call attempts, SMS, additional LU, and in fact I have never seen that
> commercial networks do something like that.
>
> Is there not some waiting queue defined in the standards, with some timers,
> commanding the location updaters to wait for some period of time? Has
> been a long time when I looked into this, but I mean to remember that even
> OpenBTS does it this way.
>
> Or am I totally wrong?
>
> From my point of view slowly increasing TX power is OK for booting a new cell into
> operation, but during normal operation?!

This is for the initial startup of a cell and for a situation of a
sudden influx of a huge number of phones. In a normal situation you
should not have RACH channel saturated and thus this mechanism is not
triggered,

Alexander Chemeris.
CEO, Fairwaves LLC / ООО УмРадио
http://fairwaves.ru