GPRS, EDGE support

Alexander Chemeris alexander.chemeris at gmail.com
Sun Jan 26 20:55:31 UTC 2014

Hi Holger,

On Fri, Jan 24, 2014 at 4:29 PM, Holger Hans Peter Freyther
<holger at freyther.de> wrote:
> SDRs provide the greatest flexibility but unless you have specific
> RF filters in your frontend you will not pass the harmonized norms
> of the European Union for GSM.

This is a very broad statement.
AFAICT, UmTRX passes GSM specs as specified by the 3GPP is calibrated
properly. Could you point out which specs you mean and some proof that
_no_ SDR device can pass that spec?

> The majority of the code of osmo-pcu has been contributed by or on
> behalf of sysmocom. If you take a look at the development of the PCU
> for the last 6 months you will clearly see that sysmocom is doing all
> the work. Just like with OpenBSC a lot of others benefit from our work
> though. ;)

We all appreciate the effort Sysmocom and you personally has been
putting into the development of OsmoPCU for past 6 months and we all
love shameless commercials on this mailing list.

For the sake of completeness, I want to point out that the code was
originally written by Ivan Kluchnikov (Fairwaves employee) under my
mentorship. We left it in a stage of the proof of concept, since we
have never had any commercial customers for it. Then a few features
were added by Andreas Eversberg. And then Sysmocom took a turn to
restructure the code and make it closer to production.

That's what I like about open-source and cooperation in general -
everyone contributes a little bit and a project becomes better than if
everyone wrote the thing from scratch.

At this moment we (Fairwaves) are busy with fixing bugs and improving
the CS part of NITB (calls and SMS), but I hope we'll get back to GPRS
as we get more customers demanding it. As usual, one can support this
with paid feature requests and with buying more of our hardware. And
just by submitting more high-quality patches, i.e. by more
cooperation. :)

Happy hacking!

Alexander Chemeris.
CEO, Fairwaves LLC / ООО УмРадио