GPRS, EDGE support

Holger Hans Peter Freyther holger at freyther.de
Fri Jan 24 12:29:03 UTC 2014

On Fri, Jan 24, 2014 at 10:59:51AM +0100, Sipos Csaba wrote:
> Hi Holger,

Hi!

> I need to choose a device for educational purposes, that is capable
> for packet data with OpenBSC/OpenBTS. This will going to extend our
> current 2G setup which currently has 3 Nokia Site family units with
> OpenBSC.

It all depends and being associated with sysmocom i am biased too.

SDRs provide the greatest flexibility but unless you have specific
RF filters in your frontend you will not pass the harmonized norms
of the European Union for GSM.

sysmoBTS has a closed source DSP/FPGA image/bitmask. This means
you can't easily look at the channel coding/burst creation. So
there is reduced flexibility. The benefit is that a single unit
can host BTS+PCU+NITB.

nanoBTS is a completely closed source product. Their GPRS stack
has reliability issues and they try to hide things (e.g. changing
the password for their telnet interface). There is no flexibility.