GPRS vs. voice with openbsc

Alexander Chemeris alexander.chemeris at gmail.com
Mon Feb 3 13:04:19 UTC 2014

Ralph,

On Mon, Feb 3, 2014 at 4:06 PM, Ralph A. Schmid, dk5ras
<ralph at schmid.xxx> wrote:
> Digging a bit deeper showed me that GPRS uses a somehow strange power
> control model, not a closed loop but a kind of dedicated guess, derived from
> the downlink RSSI at the ME.

GPRS has two modes of operation - closed loop and open loop. What
you're describing here and what is implemented in both OpenBTS and
OsmoPCU. I'm pretty sure that commercial networks use closed loop
control nowadays, and it's a TBD item in OsmoPCU.

> Is similar behavior known with the openbsc familiy GSM systems? I even know
> similar effects from commercial operators (O2 Germany with EDGE), not
> knowing if it is the same issue or something completely different.

It's a different issue with EDGE.
EDGE uses 8-PSK modulation scheme, which is a bit more more sensitive
to noise than GMSK and thus may not work at the edge of coverage.

Alexander Chemeris.
CEO, Fairwaves LLC / ООО УмРадио
http://fairwaves.ru