GPRS vs. voice with openbsc

Andreas Eversberg andreas at eversberg.eu
Mon Feb 3 12:42:07 UTC 2014

Ralph A. Schmid, dk5ras wrote:
> Digging a bit deeper showed me that GPRS uses a somehow strange power
> control model, not a closed loop but a kind of dedicated guess, derived from
> the downlink RSSI at the ME. Setting the corresponding gamma value has a
> strong influence, but even with its lowest value I do not reach more than
> those 25m, and I can reduce the operating range to 2m with it. Playing with
> rxgain and other parameters did not really improve things.
hi ralph,

maybe try this:
use a gamma of 0. (this means that the maximum power of your phone is
not reduced.)
use an alpha of 0. (this means no reduction depending on the downlink RSSI.)
also be sure to set MS_TXPWR_MAX_CCH to 33dbm, so the maximum allowed
output power of the mobile is 2w, if supported. (at openbsc the
parameter is "ms max power 33")

best regards,

andreas