Unbounded AGCH queue in OsmoBTS

Ivan Kluchnikov Ivan.Kluchnikov at fairwaves.ru
Thu Feb 13 12:48:47 UTC 2014

Hi Jacob,

Thank you for your comments and ideas!

First I want to summarize you previous ideas, which I think we should implement:
1. we shouldn't send Delete Ind message for IMMEDIATE ASSIGNMENT REJECT messages
2. Just drop IA REJECTs, if L >  maxL/2 (am I right?)
3. Use agch_queue_length and agch_max_queue_length names
4. Implement function bts_agch_update_max_queue_length, that is only
called after config/bs_ag_blks_res is changed/set (do you know places
where bs_ag_blks_res is changed/set?)
5. Yes, you are right, we can use PCH blocks when needed, it is good
question, why (master and jolly/trx) do not use PCH blocks when
needed.
Actually we already have function for that:
int paging_add_imm_ass(struct paging_state *ps, const uint8_t *data,
uint8_t len);
Moreover we should also determine when we should start to use PCH for
imm assign messages and what we should do with agch_max_queue_length
in this case, what do you think about it?
6. What do you finally think about calculating agch_max_queue_length?
What is the right way to calculate it from your point of view?

> Hi,
>
> On 11.02.2014 15:07, Jacob Erlbeck wrote:
>>> 2. Implemented calculation of  agch queue length.
>>> Bts should calculate allowed length of agch queue, because bts should
>>> send imm assign message before immediate assignment procedure will be
>>> aborted by MS.
>>> Imm assign message can be queued no longer than T3126, so agch queue
>>> length should be equal (T3126 / 51 ) * bs_ag_blks_res.
>
> My understanding of GSM 05.02 3.3.2.3, 6.5.1 v), and clause 7 table 5
> was, that bs_ag_blks_res defines the number of blocks _reserved_ for
> AGCH an SI messages per 51-multiframe, but does not _limit_ it.
> Is this correct? If yes, is there a reason why the implementations
> (master and jolly/trx) do not use PCH blocks when needed?
>

>> I'm not sure about the correctness of the max length calculation because of
>> a) There are other timers/conditions that are influenced by the queue delay:
>>    - T3101 limits channel reservation on the network side.
>>    - Only the last 3 CHANNEL REQUEST messages are matched by the MS
>>      against incoming IMMEDIATE ASSIGNMENT messages.
>
> More precisely, this limits the allowable delay to 3*(S+T/2) while
> CHANNEL REQUESTs are being sent. After the last one, T3126 is relevant.
> At least, this is my understanding of GSM 04.08, 3.3.1.1.2. So I'd
> rather drop that requirement, since 3S+1.5T > 2S+T.
>
> Jacob

Ivan Kluchnikov.
http://fairwaves.ru