Network from Scratch on Gentoo: Official Support

Jason A. Donenfeld Jason at zx2c4.com
Sat Apr 26 13:08:14 UTC 2014

Gentoo Linux now supports Network from Scratch in 5 easy steps. We're
using jolly's branches for the live ebuilds. (ETA on when we can ship
master?)

Network from Scratch on Gentoo
==============================

1. Add these to packages.keywords (in /etc/portage):

    =net-wireless/openbsc-9999 **
    =net-wireless/osmobts-9999 **
    =net-wireless/osmotrx-9999 **
    =net-libs/libosmo-abis-9999 **

2. Make sure your portage tree is up to date, and emerge the right packages:

    $ sudo emerge --sync
    $ sudo emerge openbsc osmobts osmotrx

3. Download configuration templates:

    $ mkdir ~/.osmocom
    $ wget -O ~/.osmocom/open-bsc.cfg http://bpaste.net/raw/236987/
    $ wget -O ~/.osmocom/osmo-bts.cfg http://bpaste.net/raw/237000/

4. Edit configuration templates to work on spectrum you have a license for:

    $ vim ~/.osmocom/*.cfg

5. Start these babies up, in separate shells:

    shell1 $ osmo-nitb -c ~/.osmocom/open-bsc.cfg -l
~/.osmocom/hlr.sqlite3 -P -C --debug=DRLL:DCC:DMM:DRR:DRSL:DNM

    shell2 $ osmobts-trx -c ~/.osmocom/osmo-bts.cfg

    shell3 $ osmo-trx