Openbsc support for new BTS

Harald Welte laforge at gnumonks.org
Fri Nov 8 16:17:46 UTC 2013

Hi Jason,

On Fri, Nov 08, 2013 at 01:21:46PM +0000, Jason DSouza wrote:
> But I'm waiting at Opstart for Obj Class - RADIO_CARRIER to trigger
> trx-init() which is never received from BSC. That is where I'm struck
> now.  All this so far is similar to sysmobts interface, something
> similar to bts_model_opstart() function in osmo-bts-sysmo.

Please see the following code from bts_ipaccess_nanobts.c:

==============
/* Callback function to be called whenever we get a GSM 12.21 state change event */
static int nm_statechg_event(int evt, struct nm_statechg_signal_data *nsd)
{
[...]
	case NM_OC_RADIO_CARRIER:
		trx = obj;
		if (new_state->operational == NM_OPSTATE_DISABLED &&
		    new_state->availability == NM_AVSTATE_OK)
			abis_nm_opstart(trx->bts, obj_class, trx->bts->bts_nr,
					trx->nr, 0xff);
		break;
==============

So the opstrart for the RADIO_CARRIER is sent in response to an incoming
NM_MT_STATECHG_EVENT_REP withe the operational state set to DISABLED and
the availability set to OK.

My guess is that you are not sending such a state event from the BTS to
the BSC.  I can also not see that in the pcap file you have sent.  All
OML messages in there relate to the Site MAnager or the BTS object
class, but there are no messages related to any other MOs.

As indicated, it is best to start from a known-working setup with a
supported BTS model, or at least from a protocol trace of an existing
supported configuration.

Please also make sure to set your 'bts model' to nanobts, I _think_ the
'bts model sysmobts' is still broken.