New handover algorithm

jolly andreas at eversberg.eu
Thu May 16 08:01:15 UTC 2013

Hi,

Jean-Samuel and me developed an advanced handover algorithm for OpenBSC.
Before implementing it, we would like to get any feedback, so I decided
to post it in this mailing list. The document that describes the
algorithm can be downloaded at:
http://home.eversberg.eu/handover-algorithm-v2.3.pdf

Regards,

Andreas

Handover shall ensure that the mobile station is always on the best cell
during a call. This results in best speech quality and allows a lower TX
level (up-link) to save battery and reduce interference. Sometimes this
is not desirable, especially if a cell with large coverage becomes
congested after handover. In this situation it makes sense to balance
the usage between cells to prevent congestion. If a cell is congested,
one or several mobile stations need to be handovered to a different
cell, even if that cell is not the best cell for these mobile station.
In case that a mobile station needs to handover to prevent a loss of
radio link, it makes sense to handover it to a cell that is congested
afterwards. In this situation, a different mobile station on the
congested target cell must be handovered to a non-congested neighbor
cell, to solve or balance the congestion.

In order to negotiate used codec and TCH rate during call setup,
Immediate Assignment shall assign an SDCCH channel, if available. After
negotiation is complete, assignment to the available TCH slot is made.