Silent Call vs Test Call vs A-bis Proxy (ip.access-proxy)

j h jhlistserv at gmail.com
Wed May 8 13:35:27 UTC 2013

Could someone explain to me the difference between Silent Call, Test Call,
and A-bis proxy (ip.access-proxy).
To my understanding Test Call opens a pass through UDP port straight to the
MS. While SilentCall just creates just creates a open channel.

My confusion I believe comes from where you're "sitting" in the eco-system
between Silent Call and Test Call. I also am confused after looking at
ip.access-proxy. It clearly opens a port for injection either towards the
BSC or BTS. However, does a silent-call need to be active to get data to
the MS? When I try to inject a simple SMS using ip.access-proxy, (via
copying traffic seen across ip.access), I get length disagrees with header.
What is ip.access injection expecting in terms of data format?

Thanks