[osmo-bts] Review of jolly/trx jolly/l1sap

jolly andreas at eversberg.eu
Sun Mar 10 11:41:10 UTC 2013

hi harald,
> http://cgit.osmocom.org/cgit/osmo-bts/commit/?h=jolly/trx&id=9be2099855532cff4313e132375c63c71fa8c0ff
> looks fine to me, too, we should be able to merge that.  My only comment
> would be:  Are you sure this should not be configured via OML from the
> BSC?  I think TS 12.21 Chapter 9.4.14 should be the proper way to
> configure it.  Do you agree?  If yes, please use OML configuration and
> remove the VTY option.

yes, i did not noticed that there is an OML IE for that. the specs leave
open how to measure link at BTS side, so I decided to use same algorithm
as the MS uses. (the MS gets initial value for radio link timeout via
system information message.) i have just improved this patch (see
jolly/trx branch). additionally I added an option to openbsc to
configure radio link timeout via VTY. this value is sent down to BTS
(via OML) also. (see jolly/testing branch of openbsc)
> http://cgit.osmocom.org/cgit/osmo-bts/commit/?h=jolly/trx&id=7322254e68b7d5ebf1098a902d99bc0e5965e2f4
> seems fine to me.  Can you pleaes confirm from your side that it
> _should_ not alter/remove any existing code/behavior, but just introduce
> that L1SAP intermediate interface?  Have you tested it with
> osmo-bts-sysmo?

i have tested everything with osmo-bts-sysmo - at least with TCH/F call.
the behavior was the same.
> http://cgit.osmocom.org/cgit/osmo-bts/commit/?h=jolly/trx&id=1c3712962195d1988c2937481c98592d2705464f
> seems to not just remove the direct handling of primitives, but also add
> some code, particularly the gsmtap_ip command line argument.  Can you
> please split that in a separate patch?  Also, have you tested
> osmo-bts-sysmo after this commit?

as above, i tested TCH/F calls with osmo-bts-sysmo. because gsmtap is
now provided at common part, and because each application
(osmo-bts-sysmo in this case) handles gsmtap command line option itself
(there is no option handling at common part), i added the command line
options, so this patch does not remove any feature. i can split it of
course.

i think that my branches are still quite experimental and not really
made for merging yet. once i am done with the trx stuff, i would like to
test osmo-bts-sysmo again with all voice codecs and then create a new
branch to rebase everything onto the current master.

regards,

andreas