DSP optimization

Thomas Tsou tom at tsou.cc
Wed Jul 10 13:08:58 UTC 2013

On Wed, Jul 10, 2013 at 2:26 PM, Sylvain Munaut <246tnt at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> I don't foresee
>>> any issues with a slight change in the API of libosmocore if it is
>>> justified - just send an RFC/patch to the OpenBSC mailing list and it
>>> will be reviewed.
>
> I _do_ see an issue with ABI and/or API change.
>
> The conv code is used in many projects with a bunch of different code
> so any change would need to have a very good justification of why it's
> needed and should be absolutely necessary.

This was the issue I was trying to raise. The patch (that doesn't
exist) for the API change on osmo-bts alone is huge. I don't like any
API breaking changes, and I have limited interest in making changes to
osmo-bts. I do like compatibility layers though.

> Also, it should be obvious but any change in libosmocore must stay
> compatible with all codes that have been supported until now and not
> just a subset of GSM/LTE specific codes.

Aside from testing all the various combinations, I'm less concerned
about structural (non-API) compatibility. The convolutional codes are
defined by the trellis structure or, equivalently, shift register and
generator polynomials. The Viterbi algorithm is fundamentally the same
in all cases. Unless there are some truly bizarre cases, which you
would know more about than I do, I see this as less of an issue.

> All the GSM channel coding will also be moving to libosmocore soonish
> to allow usage in other projects so keeping some specific stuff in
> osmo-bts will not be a viable option for long.

Leaving aside LTE code, the implementation in question only exists in
the posted test cases.

  Thomas