7bit changes to libosmocore

Holger Hans Peter Freyther holger at freyther.de
Wed Jul 10 17:00:45 UTC 2013

On Wed, Jul 10, 2013 at 05:52:16PM +0200, Harald Welte wrote:

> as an alternative, offer something like check_patch.pl of Linux kernel
> to the developer, but which not only checks for indentation/coding style
> but whihc also does the 'make check'.  More reasonable and no
> load/security on the server.

I think it is a social problem, so no technological solution exists. I
will add redundancy and reply somewhere else with similar content but
from my point of view one should do the following on a branch before
asking it to be merged:

1.) rebase against origin/master
2.) Do not mix too many concerns, so maybe create different patch series
3.) go through each change for sanity checking, check the commit message
    (if the problem fixed is properly described and if a drunk guy in
    at 10:00 am will understand and have enough context what was attempted
    to be fixed, I learned this with WebKit and re-learned it with the
    paging changes in OpenBSC.. so through my own failure)
4.) Make sure that each commit passes make and make check (distcheck)
5.) Ask things to be merged.

So we are all humans and we sometimes don't do the above, sometimes we
are lucky and it doesn't get noticed. But in case it is not I think the
following should be a social norm:

1.) Fix it
2.) Apologize
3.) Promise to be more careful in the future and attempt to really do it

cheers
	holger