Nokia InSite multiple BTSs with OpenBSC

Sipos Csaba dchardware at gmail.com
Thu Jul 4 22:11:13 UTC 2013

Dear Members,

As I previously mentioned, I have two Nokia InSite BTS units that I
want to set up for my university. One GSM900 and one GSM1800 unit, and
I want to share some findings that can be useful for other users too.

First, the informations about the DAHDI configuration  at the end of
the building page:

http://openbsc.osmocom.org/trac/wiki/Building_OpenBSC

It sais the following for system.conf:

dchan=1
bchan=2-30

I wanted to point out that it is not necessary to define a dchan,
because with BTSes this is not a traditional E1 line configuration
where you share timeslots and you have to signal it
via the traditional E1 signaling channel (dchan), because for every
BTS there are dedicated timeslots for OMUSIG, TRXSIG and TCHs etc,
that cannot be used by anybody else. And
because we are not using that dchan, it is a waste of capacity to
allocate it. My DAHDI system.conf looks like this:

span=1,0,0,ccs,hdb3,crc4
bchan=1-31

and it works perfectly without a configured dchan (well its far from
perfect but at least the problem is not with the E1 configuration).
Because every BTS works like this, it would be wise the update that
information. For T1 lines and other framing configurations (cas, ami
etc.) it is the same.

The second thing is that Nokia InSite units (probably others too) can
be daisy chained. It is possible to share the first BTS units E1
connection for the daisy chained units with the integrated HDSL
cross-connection interface. With this technique it is possible to
share one E1 connection between 5 BTSes.

But there is a slight problem. I figured out if the BTS is not
connecting to the E1 directly, but via this HDSL interface, it needs
more time before it can be configured via OML,RSL. So in
bts_nokia_site.c the #DEFINE RESET_INTERVAL have to be raise from the
current 15 seconds to at least 25 seconds, otherwise the unit is not
going to came up. With this modification I was able to use the unity
via this HDSL cross-connection interface.

The third thing is multiple BTS operation. As I mentioned I want to
use two InSite units with OpenBSC. But at the beginning of
bts_nokie_site.c there is a big warning: I most certainly going to
have problems with multi BTS operation. Despite the warning I tried with two units, and
found an interesting thing: if I try to start the two units, only one
of the two units are going to came up. But if I start
the daisy chained unit first, then stop openbsc and immediately start
openbsc again but now with the two unit config file, both BTSes are
came up just fine, the phones can camp on both units. I don't know the
real reason behind this behavior, but I have log and PCAP traces
about the working and non-working scenarios. If someone interested in
it I can share the results. Although a possible reason is that in
bts_nokia_insite.c the shutdown routine is completely missing. It is
not a good solution, but at least we should reset the BTS(es) and
all the signalling channels in the shutdown state (like with BS11),
until we figure out some proper way of shutting Nokia BTSes down.

BR,
Csaba