libosmo-abis questions

Harald Welte laforge at gnumonks.org
Sun Feb 10 06:46:10 UTC 2013

Hi Pablo,

I am currently experimenting with porting osmo-bts over to libosmo-abis
for the OML/RSL links.  However, it seems that libosmo-abis might not be
as complete as I was assuming.  Maybe you have some ideas how to address
the issue.

As you probably know, upon start of the BTS only the OML link is
established to the BSC.  It is then via OML that the BSC instructs the
BTS to establish a RSL link to a specified address.  In the case of
current OpenBSC, those IP addressee for OML and RSL are identical, but
we cannot make that an assumption.

Furthermore, in the case of a multi-TRX BTS, there will be one OML
connection but multiplt RSL connections (one for each TRX).  Those RSL
connections will originate from different BTS hardware units.

So far I've been using e1inp_ipa_bts_test.c as a template for the BTS
side, but it seems that it
* establishes OML and RSL at the same time, without waiting for the OML
  command to establish the RSL link
* uses the same destination IP for OML and RSL without option for
  configuring this.

Do you have any ideas how to best implement this?  There is of course
the option to bypass the entire e1inp_line / e1inp_sign_link abstraction
and to use the ipa.c code directly (ipa_client_conn_create() and
friends).  But then I get only the multiplex without the andling of the
ID_GET/ID_RESP/ID_ACK contained in ipaccess.c.