Openbsc support for new BTS

Jason Anoop jason.anoop at gmail.com
Mon Dec 2 13:37:02 UTC 2013

Dear Harald,
Sorry for the delay in response. I was busy with the interface design and
coding.

On Fri, Nov 8, 2013 at 9:47 PM, Harald Welte <laforge at gnumonks.org> wrote:
> So the opstrart for the RADIO_CARRIER is sent in response to an incoming
> NM_MT_STATECHG_EVENT_REP withe the operational state set to DISABLED and
> the availability set to OK.
> My guess is that you are not sending such a state event from the BTS to
> the BSC.

You were just spot on Harald. That's working now. Many thanks.

To update you further,
My development has gone ahead for quite some time now. Now I'm able to
configure TRX, configure TS and logical channels.
RTS indications(for SDCCH), Time indications and DATA requests are being
exchanged between osmobts - Octasic PHY.
And finally now I'm able to see the network. So far so good.

That said, I'm not able to latch to the network yet as I've not yet done
with my coding. Also I'm yet to get my GSM sim cards for testing.
Only then I will be able to test the rest (latching to the network and
voice calls).

Meantime I have some questions:

(1)
I'm not very clear on the usage of msgb data structure of libosmocore yet.
Ex: what's the significance of l1h, l2h ptrs in msgb.
l1p_msg->l2h = l1p_msg->data;
l1p_msg->l1h = msgb_push(l1p_msg, sizeof(*l1sap));

I also see that l1h points to the msgb->data itself. And there are lots of
typecasts happening as the L1 indications are being processed.

As of now I just allocate memory for msgb, (1032 bytes) and then memcopy
the L1 message to the msgb->data and set the msgb->data_len to the size of
L1 msg & msgb->len to 1032 for mainly RTS ind & RACH ind and it works. I
guess that's because maybe the msgb contents are not directly used as we
extract important fields into l1sap datastructure.

But I'm not too sure of that for DATA ind, for the voice traffic. I think I
only need to send the MS data content from the data indications as I'm L1
header decoding is not possible at openbsc side as it is PHY dependent.
Some pointers around here to make my understanding clear on what should be
the message content for msgb or l1sap when it is sent up in the uplink
direction in l1sap_up(),  would be of great help.

(2)
In handle_ph_ra_ind() in l1_if.c od sysmobts, l1sap->u.rach_ind.chan_nr has
not been filled up with 0x88, that means it should always
call l1sap_handover_rach() in l1sap.c for every RACH for SDCCH. Is there
any other way of distinguishing if it is HO ACCESS or normal ACCESS? (This
was from code I downloaded, I don't know if this was fixed later??)

(3)
In the BSC config, encryption takes value of a5 0/1/2
Does 0 mean no encryption? If not how do I switch off encryption from
openbsc? Just skip that line in config?

(4)
Regarding the sharing of code on my new interface:
I'm yet to clean up my code and I think 1st release would be at least when
I'm able to latch to the MS.
I'm new to git repo, I will have to go through tutorials before I can
create new repo for sharing this new interface with openbsc.
Is there any central server where we can create such repo for openbsc?
I prefer to create a new repo as adding it to existing branch may break
other stuff of osmobts-trx and osmobts-sysmo.
May be once I have stable release we can merge it up with main branch.

Jason