Newbie question on BS-11 firmware for first boot

J.P. van Wyk jpvw at truteq.com
Wed Aug 28 14:28:31 UTC 2013

Good day list

We acquired a BS-11  microBTS a while ago and in the preliminary stages
of setting up the equipment came upon the following:

background -
1. we installed OpenBSC as per the OpenBSC wiki.
2. we manufactured a serial cable to interact with the BS-11.
3. using bs11_config as per the bs11_config wiki page we started the
BS-11 and got the following:

$ ./bs11_config -p /dev/ttyUSB0
bs11_config (C) 2009 by Harald Welte and Dieter Spaar
This is FREE SOFTWARE with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY

LMT LOGON: ACK

PHASE: 1 Warm Up             Abis-link: Down
PHASE: 1 Warm Up             Abis-link: Down
PHASE: 1 Warm Up             Abis-link: Down
.
.
PHASE: 1 Warm Up             Abis-link: Down
PHASE: 1 Software required   Abis-link: Down
No valid safety Load file "BTSBMC76.SWI"

After this nothing further happens.

 From the wiki page I conclude that the file in question is the SMU safety load that is needed to create the minimal configuration to get the BS-11 to boot.
There seem to be another firmware image needed for the BS-11 namely the HS011106.SWL

Am I correct in my assumption that the BS-11 was not preloaded with this software?

Where do I get these firmware images as the wiki page states that the project can't provide any of the firmware due to copyright constraints.

Regards

--

Paul van Wyk
TruTeq Wireless (Pty) Ltd.        Tel +27 12 667 1530