Question about ms max power parameter.

Alexander Huemer alexander.huemer at xx.vu
Tue Apr 9 22:12:10 UTC 2013

On Tue, Apr 09, 2013 at 10:57:38PM +0200, dexter wrote:
> in the openbsc.cfg i find a parameter "ms max power" which is set to
> 15 dBm (apporox 30mW) by default.
>
> http://openbsc.osmocom.org/trac/wiki/osmo-nitb_VTY says the
> following: "maximum transmit power (in dBm) to be used by MS in this
> BTS. This is used in the System Information on the BCCH as well as
> for the MS power level at the time a dedicated channel is
> activated."
>
> My question is how low may i set ms max power level? Is 15dBm
> already the lowest possible minimum or can i set it down to 1dBm if
> i like?

I just looked it up.
GSM 05.05 speaks of values 0..39dBm, although the underlying thing is
the 'Power control level', MS_TXPWR_MAX_CCH, which has a range of 0..31.
This is also mentioned in GSM 05.08. I also found [1].

Kind regards,
-Alexander Huemer

[1] http://gsm-optimization.blogspot.com/2012/04/mstxpwrmaxcch.html