MultiARFCN OpeBSC and SysmoBTS

Harald Welte laforge at gnumonks.org
Mon Sep 10 12:47:30 UTC 2012

Hi Daud,

On Thu, Sep 06, 2012 at 09:51:37AM +0000, Daud Suleiman wrote:
> Hi Harald,

be aware that you sent this to a public mailinglist for openbsc related
questions, not to me personally.

> I can't tire of congratulating and the community for the great work you are
> doing in creating a free world in your own capacity! I thank you.

Thanks on behalf of the development team.

> 1. Is sysmoBTS capable of operating in MultiARFCN?

sysmoBTS is a single-TRX device.  We have a hardware option of stacking
multiple sysmoBTS boards to achieve a single BTS with multiple TRX.
By default, each TRX has separate TX output / RX input.

> Is multiARFCN implemented in OpenBSC and if so how does one go about
> configuring it.

"multiarfcn" is not an standard language, I believe only OpenBTS uses
it.  As Peter has pointed out, any BTS with multiple TRX has multiple
arfcn.  So even the first BTS supported by OpenBSC (BS-11) has two
ARFCN.

There are a variety of example configuration files in the openbsc source
tree, feel free to review them.

> 2. Also after the successful implementation of CSD, are there plans for PTT
> over Cellular (PoC)?

CSD is not yet implemented, but I hope with Tobias' help we will soon
have it working, at least for some BTS models.

PoC as present in some phones so far is not a feature of GSM/3GPP
specifciations, and it is very hard to get those specifcations.  The
newer IMS-based method is specified in 3GPP, but I'm not sure which
operators have already deployed it.  As it is a TCP/IP based service, I
think it is fully independent from OpenBSC and just like any other
user application out of scope for what we are trying to achieve.  But
we're of course happy if you want to contribute a PoC server and host it
on git.osmocom.org :)