CSD support for openbsc with the BS-11

Tobias Engel t-openbsc at tobias.org
Tue Oct 9 11:16:59 UTC 2012

Hi,

I just pushed a "tobias/csd" branch to both the openbsc and libosmo-abis
git.

If you check out those branches you should be able to make CSD calls
with a BS-11 and the following parameters: V.110, 9.6kbit/s, transparent
mode.

The AT-Command to activate this mode is AT+CBST=71,0,0. (If you see an
ERROR when entering this command, your phone's baseband most likely
doesn't support transparent mode. One of the few exceptions seem to be
MediaTek and TI.)

There is no Interworking Function in the code - the V.110 frames simply
get sent from one phone to the other. This should not be a problem as
long as both sides use the exact same parameters.

The openbsc tobias/csd branch is based on Harald's laforge/csd branch
which already adds code for setting CSD channel modes.

Many thanks to Dieter Spaar who found out why I was only seeing garbled
data on the uplink, and also to GSMK who let me use lots of my time
there to figure out this CSD stuff.

Next stop would be to implement RLP to also support V.110
non-transparent mode which is supported by almost all GSM basebands.

-Tobias