OpenBSC with Dahdi+Asterisk and several BTS

Ellen Apolinar ellen.apolinar.td at googlemail.com
Thu May 31 08:08:33 UTC 2012

Hey folks,

I am new with OpenBSC and want to build OpenBSC with several BTS from
different types.

At first what I need: I want to test OpenBSC without a BTS just to see if
the installation worked successfully. Also I need to know what I have to do
if I want to use a BTS which isn't configured yet.

What we want to do in the end is to test the BTS with a selfmade programm.
For this we need an interface between the hardware BTS and the pc.

What I have:
Ubuntu 11.10
Kernel 3.0.22
several BTS (Siemens BS60/BS240, Nokia Citytalk, Alcatel G9100 etc...)
HFC-E1 card from Cologne Chip
OpenBSC
Asterisk 1.8.4.4 + Web-GUI (Asterisk NOW 2.0)
Dahdi 2.4.1
Libpri 1.4
mISDN v2.x
mISDNuser 2.0.11
LCR 1.7
Twinkle, Wireshark etc.

Why mISDN + Dahdi:
First I tried to use mISDn + mISDNuser + LCR for a connection between
OpenBSC and Asterisk. mISDN was integrated in the Kernel so I thought it's
the best idea to use it. I installed mISDNuser and LCR but there are
several problems. For further informations you can have a look here:
http://www.ip-phone-forum.de/showthread.php?t=247932

Because of the problems mit LCR/chan_LCR and Asterisk I decided to use
Dahdi because it's also installed since I installed Asterisk. Asterisks
works fine with the softphones which I created with Twinkle and also the
Asterisk GUI works without problems.

To use Dahdi:
modprobe -r hfcmulti
modprobe -r mISDN_core
/etc/init.d/dahdi restart

/etc/dahdi/system.conf:
dchan=1
bchan=2-30

openbsc.cfg:
e1_input
e1_line 0 driver dahdi

To start OpenBSC:
cd /etc/openbsc/src/osmo-nitb
./osmo-nitb
Error:
<0005> bsc_init.c:493 Failed to parse the config file: 'openbsc.cfg'

So now I'm not sure what to do because I'm not sure what exactly is wrong
and if it could work without a BTS. There are enough informations if I want
to test a BS11 or a nanoBTS but I'm a little bit lost how to work with
another BTS.

In the next day I will get the traces from the several BTS to build an
interface between BTS and OpenBSC so I can build the openbsc.cfg-file. But
it would be great if it is possible to test OpenBSC before I get the
traces.

To get a connection between OpenBSC and Astrisk with Dahdi is a problem
which I should solve by myself. There should be enough information in the
internet.

if you have questions or need more informations just write an e-mail.

Best regards and thanks in advance. It would be great if someone could help
me or give me some advice what I could do.

Ellen