sim

Hans Witvliet hwit at a-domani.nl
Thu May 24 07:13:23 UTC 2012

Hi all,

Perhaps i am completely mistaken..
If so, please make it a "learning-moment" for me ;-)

Is it possible to crate your own SIM's ?
As far as i can see, these are just small smartcards.
And as such, thse can be filled with the tools that come along with
OpenSC.

I presume the SIM's contain a number of EF's and DF's
One set that thighs a SIM to a specific operator (making it possible to
SIM-lock a handy)
And another set of EF's that identifies a specific user.

Within the DB of the operator, the relation between the SIM-identifier
and the specific user (with his 06-number and other info) is made.
(I know that the sim itself is not unique, because a college had a
malfuntioning SIM, and it was replaced by another one, with the same
content)

Reason why i want to fill my own sims is this;
For one of our projects we are using certificates on a smartcard.
Currently full-sized, but we think of putting it on a sim-sized card.
And use it in a dongle along with 2Gb (bootable) flash storage.

So my questions are:
1) can you burn your own sim's
2) would there be any objections to have, beside de GSM-info, also a
certificate
3) could you "clone" an existing SIM?

With regard to the last one: If i buy a couple of prepaid-sims from a
operator, would it be possible to extract that info, and put it along
with my own certificates on a sim of my own?

Obviously, it is no use to contact the help desks of kpn, tele2, or
vodafone at this moment.
But _if_ their are no technical limitations i could do a test with some
of our own BTS'es.
And if that pilot works, we have a business case for any interested
operator.

Hans