OpenMSC (OpenBSC without BSC) talking SIGTRAN (M3UA).

Harald Welte laforge at gnumonks.org
Wed May 9 09:30:17 UTC 2012

Hi Henrik,

On Wed, May 09, 2012 at 09:42:10AM +0200, Henrik Aagaard Sørensen wrote:
> Are there any work being done or already implemented solutions towards
> having OpenBSC work without the BSC-part and having the MSC-part
> talking SIGTRAN (M3UA)?

No, while this is on our wishlist for some time (and sort-of a logical
evolution), but I don't know of anyone actively working on it.

Most substantial developments on OpenBSC are driven by commercial
requirements and customer needs.  At least the majority of developers I
know mostly work on it as part of their paid work.  This is particularly
true for protocols and interfaces (like core network interface) that no
volunteer/hobbyist/academic has any equipment to talk to, because no
Free Software implementations exist so far.

This MSC-only mode only primarily makes sense if you want to use it with
non-OpenBSC BSC's, which I guess not many people (in the non-commercial
comnunity) have an interest in.

Similarly, the BSC-only version of OpenBSC was created on request by an
operator.  The community itself is mostly using the osmo-nitb version
until today.

So my assessment is: As long as there is no commercial interest in it, I
think most people in the community are more likely to work on other
tasks than on this feature.