Recording / Re: Regular Osmocom meeting in Berlin?

Harald Welte laforge at gnumonks.org
Sat Mar 31 12:01:40 UTC 2012

Hi Katrin,

On Fri, Mar 30, 2012 at 07:17:17PM +0000, Katrin Verclas wrote:
> Could not disagree more. We live-stream local events all the time with
> a very unobtrusive webcam/ustream and it bothers no one who is there
> but benefits all who are not.

And I couldn't disagree more with you.  The mere existance of the two
words 'camera' and 'unobtrusive' in one sentence are a contradiction in
terms.

If I want to meet with a small group of people and informally discuss
technical topic, than that is _very_ different from being live streamed
to an unknonwn number of people, any of which could make recordings and
I would have to very carefully think about each and every word that I'm
saying.   That's not a particularly relaxed environment and would kill
all the fun there is in having the meeting in the first place.

Legally, In Germany this corresponds to "not publicly spoken word"
(nicht oeffentlich gesprochenes Wort).  It is punishable under law to
record or broadcast that.  (Clause 201 of German criminal code).