study on openbsc

Harald Welte laforge at gnumonks.org
Mon Mar 12 08:37:48 UTC 2012

Hi Kwan,

On Sun, Mar 11, 2012 at 05:21:19PM +0000, Kwan wrote:

> I am a student from Hong Kong and I take a project about openbsc.
> I have a BTS that product from interWave.

Is it really just a BTS or is it a "BSplus" (BTS plus integrated
mini-BSC)?

> I contacted interWave engineer and he said he can borrow us the E1
> card to connect BTS. But I don't know how to make openbsc to support
> this BTS.

Adding a new BTS model is possible in OpenBSC, but this of course
requires that you understand the BTS and its A-bis dialect very well.  I
suggest that you study the A-bis protocols RSL (08.58) and OML (12.21)
and try to get some real-world protocol traces between your BTS and an
Interwave BSC.

Using those protocol traces, you can then try to understand the messages
and re-implement whatever is required inside OpenBSC.

This is typically not a task that can be done in a single afternoon, but
it will require some time and dedication.  However, it definitely is
possible, as we have shown with the support for various other BTS
vendors.

Feel free to share your traces and any progress and/or questions you
have on this list.